- Proofs in haiku.
- "So I went to Census data, county level. It turns out that about a quarter of the population lives in counties that are as dense or denser than Mercer County, New Jersey, which is where I live. Now, most daily life in the Princeton area depends on cars; but for medium-distance travel, at least as far as DC, trains really dominate, even at current speeds. With European-level high-speed rail, I wouldn’t fly anywhere in the Northeast Corridor. And while you can’t just rely on the county population densities, I think it’s fair to guess that at least a quarter of the US population is similarly positioned — which means that we’ve got a bigger potential market for fast rail than any European country."
- "Apple has quietly added a new Snow Leopard feature to scan software downloads for malware, a no-brainer move that coincides with a noticeable spike in malicious files embedded in pirated copies of Mac-specific software. I have confirmed that Apple is not using the open-source ClamAV engine to handle these scans so it’s likely the company has entered into an agreement with a commercial anti-virus company."
- "When it comes to Internet speed, the U.S. is still far down the ladder of industrialized nations, ranking 28th behind leaders South Korea, Japan, Sweden and Holland, according to a study by a labor union for telecommunications workers. Using data gathered from Speed Matters, a site that promotes greater Internet speeds, the Communications Workers of America compiled a list of broadband speeds in U.S. states and territories, and came up with the average speed for the nation — about 5 megabits per second. That's a quarter of South Korea's 20.4 Mbps, and about a third of Japan's 15.8 Mbps."
- "An asshole is someone who says Obama is like Hitler because he wants everyone in the US to have health insurance."
- Study: Watching Fewer Than Four Hours Of TV A Day Impairs Ability To Ridicule Pop Culture | The Onion – America's Finest News Source"A Columbia University study released Tuesday suggests that viewing fewer than four hours of television a day severely inhibits a person's ability to ridicule popular culture."
- Car shopping.
Leave a Reply